Computer science is a highly versatile field of technology. Accordingly, a bachelor’s degree in computer science is among the most versatile degree programs on the baccalaureate level. With so many options available to you as a degree holder, finding a job after graduation will be no problem. If a career in technology excites you, earning an online bachelors computer science degree is an excellent place to start.
Benefits of an Online Bachelors Computer Science Degree Program
Online institutions and universities are becoming increasingly popular as more students are preferring to earn their degrees online. There are numerous benefits available to students attending online degree programs.
- Flexibility- The flexibility of online degree programs allows students the ability to create a healthy balance between work, life, and education. Online students are better able to manage their schedules, thus giving them more time and energy to focus on their education.
- Cost- Generally, online degree programs cost significantly less than attending on-campus universities. In addition, the out-of-state costs for tuition are not as overwhelming in online institutions. You could potentially save thousands of dollars in tuition by earning your bachelor’s in computer science degree online.
- Access- By attending an online degree program, students have access to their courses and grades from anywhere at any time. In typical classroom settings, students only spend a few hours with their professors per week. In a virtual setting, professors are generally available Monday through Friday during their chosen office hours.
Careers Available in Computer Science
As a graduate from a bachelor’s degree program in computer science, you will have access to many different technology career opportunities. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for computer and information technology occupations is over $88,000 per year. Below are the three of the highest paying computer science occupations requiring a bachelor’s degree.
- Computer network architects- professionals in this occupation are responsible for the design and building of data communication networks. Computer network architects earn an average salary of about $112,600 per year and require a bachelor’s degree for consideration.
- Software developers- These professionals are responsible for creating the systems and applications that operate on a computer or other technological devices. Software developers receive an average salary of about $107,500 per year. Additionally, employers commonly require a bachelor’s degree.
- Information security analysts- professionals in this field are responsible for protecting an organization’s computer networks and systems. These professionals earn an average salary of about $99,700 per year and require a bachelor’s degree for entry-level positions.
As income varies among different fields, employees in computer science fields have the potential to earn a very healthy salary. Entry-level positions for bachelor’s degree holders maintain a significantly higher salary rate than those of other occupations. Higher salary career opportunities are only one of the many benefits of earning an online bachelors computer science degree. On the contrary, online degree programs also benefit students who wish to work while working toward higher degree levels.
In addition to the many benefits of attending an online bachelors computer science degree program, experts predict job opportunities in the technology field to significantly increase within the next ten years. Thus, providing more job placements opportunites to graduates.