I accidentally happened to see a severely smashed cockroach yesterday morning. It was still not dead! I concentrated on other daily chores, only to find that even in the evening, it was alive! I sensed some paranormal phenomena going on in my room, and was afraid that I'm doomed to be avenged by the cockroach's spirit! Next day, a random search on the Internet presented me before a startling revelation! I read an article of the reputed Scientific American, discussing the truth behind the survival of a cockroach for at least a week, even after its head is smashed! Bravo! What amazing endurance power a few insects have. Weirdest and funny, as these facts appear to be, they stand as a testimony to the miraculous and mystic nature of life.
Unique Facts about Science
Following are some of the most unusual facts about science.
- The human body is immune to its own tickles. Hence, it's next to impossible to tickle yourself! Certainly, one of the most useless facts about the human body.
- The number of people killed by falling coconuts per year is more than those killed by sharks.
- It takes nearly 50,000 years for a plastic container to start decomposing.
- Sound waves can bore holes in containers if pitched through proper frequencies.
- Even a single drop of liquid may contain 50 million bacteria.
- The number of insects even in a square mile of fertile soil is more than the number of people on this planet.
- Alligators get nearly 2,000 to 3,000 teeth an average in their entire life. No wonder once you're caught in between their teeth, you're finished.
- Fish and frogs have rained on numerous occasions in several countries. Whales must have partied with their mouth open during these rains.
- The presence of 300 million alveoli makes the surface area of two human lungs, equal to that of a normal tennis court.
- A hippopotamus can run even faster than a man. I won't dare to tease a hippo now!
- In space, you'll be slightly taller than your height on Earth because there is no gravity pulling you.
- If you travel in your car at 80 km/hr, half of the fuel goes in eliminating wind resistance. Now you know where all the fuel goes.
- The planet Saturn has a lower density than water. Hence, it will float if kept in water.
- Emu and kangaroos find it extremely difficult to walk backwards owing to their leg structure.
- Armadillos sleep for 18.5 hours per day, and they can even walk underwater. This is weird. Isn't it ?
- Moth insects have no stomach, and the smallest bird's on Earth, hummingbirds can't walk.
- Among all living things, the ant has the largest brain with comparison to its body.
- An octopus has three hearts.
- The amount of salt underneath the oceans is enough to cover all land on the continents to a depth of 500 feet. Now, this is seriously among the top 10 weird science facts.
Science in particular, and the world is general, is amazingly funny!