Coming up with an experiment that is logical for your educational grade, and equally interesting, is definitely a challenging task. Also, the science fair project should be free of hazardous chemicals and less time-consuming. So, consider such aspects and select your science projects carefully.
Fun Science Project Ideas
There are many factors to be considered while selecting middle school science project ideas. However, a little planning and understanding the basics are all you need for conducting a meaningful project. A simple trick is to put forth a hypothesis and analyze the probable results. You can also select common problems and solve them through scientific methods.
Separation of Salt and Pepper
We come across science experiments in everyday life. Here is one easy physics project, based on static electricity. So, be ready with the required supplies - salt, pepper, a white tablecloth, and plastic comb. First, put some salt on a tablecloth and shake for a few minutes. On top of the salt, add pepper and shake again.
For even mixing, you can combine them with your fingertips. Now, rub the plastic comb against a woolen cloth (to get static electricity) and bring one end of the comb closer to the salt mixture. You will see the lightweight pepper sticking to the comb, just like iron pieces stick to a magnet.
Take the help of an adult for collecting soil samples and carry a digging tool, zipper bags, and a notepad along with you. Dig soil to about 2 inch depth, and fill the soil in a bag. Note down the plants and animals found in the area.
Repeat the same for other collection sites. Using the pH test kit, measure the pH value of the soil samples. You can correlate the results with the plants and animals found in the areas.
Difference Between Male Foot and Female Foot
Interested in health related experiments, here is one for you. In this project, you can analyze the difference between the barefoot of an adult male and that of a female. Compare the shape, skin texture, and physical appearance of the male foot and female foot.
You will find the female foot to be broader than the male foot across the toes. The shape of the male foot resembles a square. Also, the female foot has a smoother skin texture than the male foot. Likewise, they differ in certain attributes, which you can demonstrate through your project.
Effects of Different Fertilizers on Plant Growth
For this biology project, you will need fertilizers and similar plants potted in same soil in specific sized containers. Purchase varied fertilizers of equal strength from a plant supply center. For each potted plant, select a particular fertilizer type.
Apply equal amounts of fertilizers to the respective plants and see their growth rate. You can measure height, spread, number of leaves, and other parameters to examine the effects of different fertilizers on plants, under the same growing conditions.
Science fair project is a competition ground, where every student gets a chance to show their talent. In addition to the previously discussed topics, there are many more which you can use. Following are some interesting topic ideas:
- How a prism gives a rainbow color pattern when white light passes through it?
- What is the phenomenon behind the formation of a rainbow?
- Why do cloths cling to the skin after drying in a washing machine's spinner?
- How certain animals can change their color with respect to their dwelling place?
- How can you create a colored chromatography with candies?
- Can you get pure water from saline water? If yes, how will you do it?
- Why do boiled eggs spin easily, while raw eggs cannot?
- What about sinking of raw eggs in plain water and floating of the same in salted water?
- How can you put eggs in a bottle, without breaking their shells?
- Is there any relation between taste and smell?
- What is the basic difference between music and noise?
- What about the chemical reactions in everyday life?
- Does a cell phone affect the working of a pacemaker?
- Is there any effect of music on children?
- How can you preserve fruits and other foods in a refrigerator?
- How does soil acidity affect the growth of plants and their yield?
- Effects of plant growth factors in seed germination.
- Do different light intensities affect the growth rate of plants?
- Which soil type holds water the most, and why?
- What conditions affect the ripening of fruits other than ethylene gas?
- How effective are pesticides for protecting plants from invading pests?
- What factors determine the effectiveness of pesticides for use on plants?
Besides presenting the middle school science projects, students should be able to answer project related queries raised by others. So, be thorough with the experiment that you have selected and if possible, predict the probable questions, and try answering them beforehand. That way, you will feel confident on the final science fair project day.